[concurrency-interest] CopyOnWrite for Maps and other lists (not just ArrayList)

Ben Manes ben_manes at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 14:23:58 EST 2010

If you don't synchronize on reads and use wrappers then you're relying on the
caller to be careful when using collections that mutate on access (e.g.
LinkedHashMap). This is the same problem as Collections#synchronizedMap() and
friends, whereas the j.u.c. collections provide a safe collection that
encapsulates the decisions that make it thread safe. If you don't fully
synchronize your wrapper then you enable error-prone usages, which favors
adopting concrete implementations instead that are safe and optimized.