[concurrency-interest] Is lock-free list useful?

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Thu Mar 4 07:12:19 EST 2010

On 03/03/10 03:55, James Gan wrote:

> I'm feeling interesting that there is no lock-free list in the j.u.c
> package. Is there a reason behind this? The algorithm of lock-free
> list is pretty simple. And list is a very useful data structure.

It is only simple if you do not support indexed operations
(as seems to be the case in Amino). But if you don't support
indexed operations, then, as implied by Martin's reply,
at best you are implementing Queue or Deque interfaces, for
which j.u.c has several implementations, with another one
likely coming.

-Doug