[concurrency-interest] Is it still ok to use synchronized after all these years?

Ashwin Jayaprakash ashwin.jayaprakash at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 16:43:41 EST 2010

I was wondering if it is still ok to use the "synchronized" keyword instead
of ReentrantLock where it is convenient.

Or is it thought of as an anachronism?

Does synchronized still have a better internal implementation over
j.u.c.Lock as this old blog entry says -
http://blogs.sun.com/dave/entry/java_util_concurrent_reentrantlock_vs ?

Thanks,
Ashwin Jayaprakash.

PS: Doug Lea - if you are reading this, I hope you will continue to make
your awesome contributions to the JDK! I can't imagine what it would be like
without the j.u.c code.