[concurrency-interest] Demonstrating the need for correct partial ordering

Philip Lee Philip.Lee at smartstream-stp.com
Mon Nov 15 07:00:58 EST 2010

It can be difficult to persuade developers of the need to ensure correct partial ordering when many programs appear to work without it.

I was wondering if there are any example programs that demonstrate failures due to unsafe publication etc? Any such concrete examples would be very helpful in demonstrating that these problems are more than just theoretical. ( I appreciate that programs may only fail on certain multi-core architectures .)

Thanks,

    Phil.

 The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
SmartStream Technologies Ltd. is a company incorporated in England and Wales. Registered office: St Helen's, 1 Undershaft, London, EC3A 8EE. Registration No. 2285524