[concurrency-interest] Final field set null on thread termination

sandeep bansal sandeep.bansal85 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 14:52:50 EDT 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 02:38:11 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Tim Eck" <teck at terracottatech.com>
> Subject: Re: [concurrency-interest] Final field set null on thread
>        termination
> To: <concurrency-interest at cs.oswego.edu>
>
> > The application is a webapp deployed in tomcat. Whenever the context is
> > reloaded all the logging threads are shutdown.
>
> I wonder if tomcat's reference clearing stuff is the cause of this?
>
> Setting
> -Dorg.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.ENABLE_CLEAR_REFERENCES=fal
> se would be a quick test to see if it stops the NullPointerException.
>
> For source minded:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_6_0_29/java/org
> /apache/catalina/loader/WebappClassLoader.java<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_6_0_29/java/org/apache/catalina/loader/WebappClassLoader.java>

I think this is the case and i probably should have asked at the tomcat list
first :). I did spend a complete day trying to write all sorts of tests for
this error and trying to debug it. I will test it and reply back on Monday
as to this solves the problem or not. Thanks for the direction Tim.

--
Regards,
Sandeep