[concurrency-interest] ConcurrentHashMap footprint and contention improvements

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Thu Apr 14 21:13:53 EDT 2011

I'm looking at the latest CHM.containsValue.

Suppose the first traversal over the segments discovers no entries
(map apparently empty).  The intent appears to be to retry, but in
this case both sum and last will be 0L, causing the search to be
abandoned.  An obvious fix would be to set last to be anything other
than 0L, and more "random" initial values for last (like reusing
serialVersionUID) would be safer still.

But even if you did that, you might conceivably have two consecutive
traversals both come up empty, with sum == 0L, in which case you will
never get around to doing a fully locked traversal?

Martin