[concurrency-interest] any Java projects that use loop parallelism?

Danny Dig dig at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 21 14:33:54 EDT 2011

Hi,

My group at University of Illinois has built several refactoring tools
for converting sequential Java code to parallelism
(http://refactoring.info/tools ). We are evaluating one of our tools
that analyzes whether it's safe to parallelize a Java loop. We could
not finding real Java programs that used parallel loops to improve
throughput.

We are interested to find both programs that use plain-old Java
threads, or the newer library constructs (e.g., ParallelArray). A
google code search on ParallelArray only reveals a couple of projects
(besides the jsr166extra, scala libraries, and test code) that use
ParallelArray. This makes sense, given that ParallelArray is new;
however, we don't have much luck finding loops that use Threads for
parallelism either. Do you know any Java programs that use loop
parallelism?

thanks,
Danny

--
Danny Dig
Visiting Research Assistant Professor at UIUC

http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dig/www

Motto: "Success is not for the chosen few but for the few who choose"