[concurrency-interest] Fork Join Profiler for Masters Project

WING HANG LI 1001759L at student.gla.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 11:38:25 EDT 2011

Hello
My name is Wing Hang Li and I am a student studying an MSc in Information Technology at Glasgow University. For my Masters Project I have developed a Java Fork Join Profiler which aims to expose some of the behaviour of programs using the Fork Join library. It does this using an instrumented version of the jsr166y library and other tools like HProf. Currently it can show the number of tasks within the Fork Join pool, the mean and standard deviation of those tasks within the worker threads, the amount of garbage collection taking place and the amount of activity within each method. The profiler generates a series of text files which are used by a chart display program to show charts of the programs behaviour during execution.
I need some volunteers to help test and evaluate my profiler as part of my project. If you have time, please download the profiler and tell me what you think of it. The profiler comes in different versions for Java 6 and 7.
For Java 6:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18375884/Profiler%20Java%206.zip
For Java 7:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18375884/Profiler%20Java%207.zip
The zip contains the profiler files, a ReadMe and a MergeSort program which uses the Fork Join library. A tutorial is also included which provides step-by-step instruction to profile the sample program. If you have any comments or suggestions then please send them to me at:
1001759l at student.gla.ac.uk
or complete a short survey on the profiler at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ForkJoinProfilerSurvey
Thank you for any feedback you give!

Wing Hang Li
1001759L at student.gla.ac.uk