[concurrency-interest] Concurrency in Android

Blake Meike bmeike at speakeasy.net
Wed Dec 21 13:04:11 EST 2011

Hi,
  I'd be interested to know if there is anyone is looking, specifically, at the concurrency picture in Android.  I understand that this is somewhat off-topic, in a group that tends to the theoretical and Java.  Android has many similarities to Java, though, including the source language, a JVM and a JIT and is surely in fruitful topic for concurrency-interest.

  I had a discussion, a few months ago, with frequent contributor here, Joe Bowbeer, about shared concerns for the interaction of the Android managed application model and its AsyncTask framework.  I came away from that discussion convinced that it is all but impossible to use the framework in a thread-safe way.  I'd be interested in hearing about (and participating in!) any other evaluation of the Android platform, from a concurrency perspective.

Thanks
  -blake