[concurrency-interest] Concurrency in Android

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:36:58 EST 2011

Hi Blake!

Android's AsyncTask corresponds to Java SE's SwingWorker.  Both are
designed for subclassing, with one abstract method that executes on a
managed background thread and a second method that executes on the main
application thread.  Android's AsyncTask is made more complicated by the
fact that the UI context is blown away (by default) every time the handset
rotates.  SwingWorker is not often discussed on this list, but whenever it
is I usually plug my old article "The Last Word in Swing Threads".  Cool
title.  Anyway, I'd be happy to continue our discussion on this list if
there's interest.  I should also mention, in case it's not clear to
everyone, that Android includes all of java.util.concurrent, unmodified as
far as I know, and I believe a j.u.c. ThreadPoolExecutor is powering the
AsyncTask executions, right?

Joe