[concurrency-interest] Concurrency in Android

Blake Meike bmeike at speakeasy.net
Wed Dec 21 18:42:25 EST 2011

On Dec 21, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Joe Bowbeer wrote:

Hey Joe,

> I believe a j.u.c. ThreadPoolExecutor is powering the AsyncTask executions, right?

Yes, that's correct.  I believe that the number of threads in the pool has been changed, recently, from some small number, to 1.

I would like to encourage this discussion.  It seems like a logical extension of the conversation in this list, if not of direct interest.  It is my opinion that, until recently, the mobile environment was a pretty safe place, concurrency-wise.  There wasn't a lot of optimization (the Android JIT is about a year old) and there weren't many cores on the processors.  That's about to change, dramatically.  I think the wisdom I've seen here would be a huge help, applied to the Android community.

-blake