[concurrency-interest] To Hyper-Thread or not

Nathan Reynolds nathan.reynolds at oracle.com
Fri Dec 23 15:40:48 EST 2011

Intel has said that older hyper-threaded cores sometimes showed a gain
and sometimes showed a loss in throughput.  They also said that newer
hyper-threaded cores show a 30-50% gain in throughput for the workloads
they tested.  I am not sure where the older vs newer line is.  A Nehalem
and Westmere CPU is definitely in the newer category.

I am not sure of the impact of hyperthreading on context switches.

I don't think JRockit or HotSpot do any thread scheduling or pinning.  I
think the kernel scheduler determines where each thread runs.  JRockit
Virtual Edition does thread scheduling since it is a thin "kernel" for
running JRockit as a virtualization guest.

As for detecting shared data/contention, that was the point of
@Contended email chain on this list a while back.  Intel and Oracle have
worked on a solution for true/false sharing.  The current Intel CPUs
don't quite expose enough information for a fully automated solution.

Nathan Reynolds