[concurrency-interest] Using a volatile variable as a "guard"

David Holmes davidcholmes at aapt.net.au
Mon Feb 7 04:28:14 EST 2011

You need factory to be volatile too so that the two variables maintain their
respective ordering. Otherwise the write to the factory can move before the
write to the flag:

    this.factory = new NuclearFactory();
    this.isNuclearFactory = true;

and now thread B can get a NuclearFactory but see isNuclearFactory before it
was set to true.

There has been a bit of discussion on this recently. The use a volatile flag
ensures data is visible when needed, but doesn't prevent it being visible
earlier. In this example you need strict ordering, or atomicity, to make
sure that a NuclearFactory is only ever seen when isNuclearfactory is set.

David Holmes