[concurrency-interest] Visualize parallelism

Kasper Nielsen kasper at kav.dk
Wed Feb 16 08:26:01 EST 2011

I looked into creating something like this.
But it proved a bit more cumbersome that I had expected because
everything in ForkJoinPool&friends is final or private/package protected.

FJP needs some methods similar to beforeExecute and afterExecute
on ThreadPoolExecutor to make this happen.
Something like
ForkJoinPool.beforeExecute(ForkJoinWorkerThread thread, ForkJoinTask task);
ForkJoinPool.afterExecute(ForkJoinWorkerThread thread, ForkJoinTask
task, Throwable t);
would be a good start.

Also FJP.forkOrSubmit(Task) is private so its cumbersome
to wrap tasks, because you have to override every execute() and submit()
method in ForkJoinPool. At least make the execute() methods delegate to
the submit() methods.

Cheers
  Kasper