[concurrency-interest] Spacing out a workload burst?

Bryan Thompson bryan at systap.com
Sun Jan 16 14:14:51 EST 2011

Hello,

I was hoping that someone could point me to either some literature, s/w or patterns which we could use to space out a sudden workload burst.  This shows up in a benchmark where a number of client threads all start pounding on the service at once.  Watching the clients returning, it is pretty clear that the requests tend to take around the same amount of time and that requests complete and new requests are issued more or less in batch bursts as a result.  It seems to me that we might have better overall throughput if we could space out a burst of requests so the resource utilization has an opportunity to become more uniform.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan