[concurrency-interest] Economist article

Tim Peierls tim at peierls.net
Tue Jun 14 17:35:20 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Joe Bowbeer <joe.bowbeer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that CPUs are made *for* software, I'm not buying that it is
> software's problem to legitimize the multicore design.
>
> Software's problem is satisfying the needs of the users, and in my view, a
> compelling statement of the problem would address that perspective.

The article reports, in terms that a layman can understand, how some current
trends in hardware have posed a problem for some software developers. Seems
unfair to blame the article for not tackling the larger subject of how
software can fail to meet the needs of its users.

If you were charged with fixing it to your satisfaction, would you rewrite
the article completely or just add a few sentences to prevent readers from
thinking the tail wags the dog?

--tim