Mike Duigou mike.duigou at oracle.com
Thu Sep 1 15:07:01 EDT 2011

On Aug 28 2011, at 19:53 , concurrency-interest-request at cs.oswego.edu wrote:

>  4. Re: ConcurrentHashMapV8 (Joe Bowbeer)

> From: Joe Bowbeer <joe.bowbeer at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [concurrency-interest] ConcurrentHashMapV8
> First impressions:
>
> 1. I like the MappingFunction name.  I hope the JDK8 name is as clear *and*
> specialized.

The current proposed name for Java SE 8 is 'Mapper' and it has the same signature as Doug's placeholder.

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/lambda/lambda/jdk/file/38969e64b60e/src/share/classes/java/util/functions/Mapper.java

One key difference is that the proposed Java SE 8 Mapper does not say anything about null handling and it is anticipated that Mapper will be used in places where null must be accommodated. The CHM may choose to just use the Mapper and document it's handling of null or could alternately create a specialized sub-interface to document the extended semantics.

If there are any concerns with the current proposed Mapper or the other basic functional interfaces proposed for Java SE 8 we'd be very interested to hear them on the lambda-dev at openjdk.java.net list.

Thanks!

Mike