[concurrency-interest] Composite compare-and-swap based on two values

Oleksiy Khilkevich oleksiy.khilkevich at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:50:33 EDT 2011

Hi All

Getting back to this I'd like to present what I've came up with. I need a
volunteer for code review.

I'm going to give a tech talk about java.util.concurrent soon, so The Right
Way(tm) and bug-free code is critical

Here is a piece of cyclic counter responsible for reset

    // CounterState is private nested class to hold value and boundary, see
attached source
    @Override
    public boolean reset() {
        for (;;) {
            int[] stampHolder = new int[1];
            CounterState current = stateRef.get(stampHolder); // 1
            int currentStamp = stampHolder[0];

            if (current.value == current.boundary) return false;

            CounterState next = new CounterState(current.boundary,
current.boundary);
            if (stateRef.compareAndSet(current, next, currentStamp,
currentStamp + 1)) {
                return true;

If I am not mistaken, at (!) i can't just access
stateRef.getReference().value and stateRef.getReference.boundary, as stamp
can change in between of that reads, so i need to get

Also in general, the more complex is shared state, the more performance
degradation would be on state writes, as there is more contention over the
shared state.

I've attached the source in case you may wanna look

Thanks and waiting for the feedback
Oleksiy