[concurrency-interest] samples for parallel programming with Java 7

Oleksiy Khilkevich oleksiy.khilkevich at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 15:55:16 EDT 2011

+1 for Gregg's view on docs and +1 for Gregg's view on what online books
should do :)

As for the topic, i'd like to start to fill that gap. I'm not a pro in
concurrency, but aim to be, so taking my hands on filling this gap seems
like very challenging for me and very exciting to work on. This is so much
better than writing code for wastebin.

I'd like to suggest everyone who is ready to volunteer their time and
experience to help. We can start from porting the examples to Java, and end
up with a book that will be both innovative and exceptionally useful.

I can provide some resources like hosting and maintenance, can do some
coding, can do some writing, what i can't provide is a lot of experience
that is a valuable asset in such task.

I'm also not imply pretending to lead this process, i think the person with
broad enough vision and experience should.

Anyone?

-Oleksiy

2011/9/16 Dane Foster <studdugie at gmail.com>

> +1 on Gregg Wonderly's suggestion for what to do w/ JCP.
>
> Dane
>

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Gregg Wonderly <gregg at cytetech.com>wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/2011 10:21 AM, Danny Dig wrote:
>>
>>> I am frustrated by the slow adoption of ForkJoinTask, ParallelArray,
>>> and other goodies for improving throughput on Java programs.
>>>
>>> One reason could be the lack of small (but realistic) projects that
>>> illustrate how to use parallelism to improve throughput. I think
>>> Microsoft is doing a good job to show samples of such programs:
>>> http://code.msdn.microsoft.**com/Samples-for-Parallel-**b4b76364/<http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Samples-for-Parallel-b4b76364/>
>>>
>>> Does anyone know where to find such sample programs for Java?
>>>

>> I feel that current, relevant documentation is the single largest issue
>> that Java has to deal with.  You might find some examples at ibm.com and
>> on some other commercial vendor sites who actually do provide support for a
>> Java VM, or Java related technologies.
>>
>> My viewpoint is that Java has been shepherded by a largely technical and
>> "on college campus" community which doesn't seem to "document" solutions,
>> just APIs.  I guess that this would be because it takes time which they
>> would have to volunteer, away from their real job, and in many cases, it
>> could document how they are "competing" with others, and thus close the gap
>> on any advantage they get from Java.
>>
>> Sun used to create a lot of good examples in the early days, of basic
>> stuff. But so much of that stopped when everyone and their dog were
>> publishing books on Java, or so it seems to me.
>>
>> The book written by Brian Goetz, and others, "Java Concurrency in
>> Practice" (http://www.amazon.com/Java-**Concurrency-Practice-Brian-**
>> Goetz/dp/0321349601<http://www.amazon.com/Java-Concurrency-Practice-Brian-Goetz/dp/0321349601>)
>> provides a great deal of resources for what existed when it was written.
>>
>> But, ultimately, that is why technical books, in the end are pretty
>> worthless after a few months.  Since things continue to change in the j.u.c
>> APIs, it would be much better for there to be some type of online version of
>> that book that could be purchased with continued updates happening.  Maybe,
>> someday, the publishing industry will understand the need and implement
>> something useful. The Kindle version, for example, could just be continually
>> updated and I'd be extremely excited by that, particularly if there were new
>> examples being added regularly as "patterns" were proven or tuned up.
>>
>> Gregg Wonderly

-Oleksiy