[concurrency-interest] samples for parallel programming with Java 7

Danny Dig dig at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 16 16:12:00 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Oleksiy Khilkevich
<oleksiy.khilkevich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to suggest everyone who is ready to volunteer their time and
> experience to help. We can start from porting the examples to Java,

I already asked a couple of my students to start porting some examples
to Java. It would be useful to first port those that have some
graphical interface (like BlendingImage, Morph, RayTracer). It's very
easy to see speedups by just watching the program run.

Some things are easy to port (e.g., algorithmic code from C# -> Java),
while others are more complex (translating the
GUI).

> and end up with a book that will be both innovative and exceptionally useful.

At this point I do not have resources for publishing books.

I would be happy with a set of small, but realistic programs that use
parallelism. We certainly can use some help with porting.

best,
Danny