[concurrency-interest] Intel's HLE and Java

Nathan Reynolds nathan.reynolds at oracle.com
Wed Apr 25 15:27:58 EDT 2012

TSX seems like another type of lock to be added to the current
bias/thin/fat synchronized design.

I guess RTM could fit somewhere between thin and fat (experience and
performance data will tell).  If the thin lock is too contented (i.e.
too much spinning), then the JVM will switch the lock to an RTM lock.
If too many aborts happen per transaction, then the JVM will switch to
fat.  Or maybe RTM locks would be tried first and then switch to thin locks.

HLE seems like it could be added to thin locks.  If the transaction
fails, then the thread will have to execute CAS instruction to acquire
the lock.  If the CAS fails too many times per transaction, then we know
that HLE won't work here and the lock will be changed to a regular thin
lock.  If threads timeout while spinning, then the lock will be
converted to a fat lock.

It doesn't seem like we need both RTM and HLE.  It seems like one or the
other will be better.  HLE has the advantage of providing transactions
in all cases but at the cost of failed transactions (hence performance
loss).  RTM is very explicit and gives power to the JVM to decide if
transactions are working.

Nathan Reynolds