Ruslan Cheremin cheremin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:39:06 EDT 2012

For me it is confusing: java has only one way to have really immutable
object, and this way also gives you a total thread safety even for
data race based publication. But then docs refer object as "immutable
and thread-safe" -- we still can't assume it to be really thread-safe?

It's a pity, especially because true immutability gives us some
chances of performance optimization. As in this case -- we do not
really need .path to be volatile here, if we would assume Path to be
truly immutable. volatility here required only for ensuring safe
publishing.