√iktor Ҡlang viktor.klang at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 19:11:51 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Nathan Reynolds <
nathan.reynolds at oracle.com> wrote:

>  I would hope the average programmer would simply need to know they
> should use synchronized blocks when accessing shared state.  If the lock
> becomes contended, then the experts will have to step in and figure out how
> to get rid of the lock and deal with all of these issues.

Unfortunately the sad fact is that when you as an "expert" come into a
codebase loitered with synchronized statements, it's completely
demoralizing trying to untangle it since most people do not know when or
why to use them.

Cheers,
√

>  Nathan Reynolds<http://psr.us.oracle.com/wiki/index.php/User:Nathan_Reynolds>| Consulting Member of Technical Staff |
> 602.333.9091
>  On 8/14/2012 3:49 PM, Raoul Duke wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Vitaly Davidovich <vitalyd at gmail.com> <vitalyd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  I think the lesson should be avoid data races - period. :) if you find a
> case where you can justify it (i.e. profiling/testing guided) then consider
> it.  I bet there will be few and far in between cases like that.
>
>  sincere, if vulgar, question: as a run-of-the-mill Joe Average
> programmer, how the heck do i even know that i've managed to avoid
> them? and if i do manage to avoid them, have i not just basically
> walked into potential, hiding, secret, waiting until after i ship to
> show up, deadlockville? (all in all, shared-mutable-state-concurrency
> seems pretty bad.)
>
> sincerely.

Viktor Klang

Akka Tech Lead