[concurrency-interest] Relativity of guarantees provided by volatile

Nathan Reynolds nathan.reynolds at oracle.com
Fri Aug 17 18:46:43 EDT 2012

 > I have yet to meet a single Java professional who wouldn't at least
be very surprised to hear that the specification allows this.

Add me to the list of surprised.

Here's an excerpt from the specification.

A write to a volatile variable (§8.3.1.4)
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se5.0/html/classes.html#36930>
/v/ synchronizes-with all subsequent reads of /v/ by any thread (where
subsequent is defined according to the synchronization order).

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se5.0/html/memory.html#17.4.4

Doesn't this mean that R will always read 1 since the read occurs after
the write?

Nathan Reynolds