[concurrency-interest] Relativity of guarantees provided by volatile

Yuval Shavit yshavit at akiban.com
Fri Aug 17 19:48:36 EDT 2012

(Resending -- I'd accidentally sent this only to Nathan)

So, Nathan, you're essentially saying that "subsequent" is defined in terms
of clock time. If we take that as the definition, then I agree that it
works as we'd all expect. Furthermore, I agree that that's the intuitive
definition, as well as the de-facto one. But it doesn't seem to be the one
explicitly defined by the JLS. (And if it is the one implicitly defined by
the JLS, I there's a serious bug waiting for any distributed-node JVM whose
nodes are traveling away from each other at relativistic speeds! ... though
I'm no physics expert.)

That said, 17.4.3 does imply that the reads will be viewable in a
wall-clock-sequential way, albeit informally

    Sequential consistency is a very strong guarantee that is made about
visibility and ordering in an execution of a program. Within a sequentially
consistent execution, there is a total order over all individual actions
(such as reads and writes) which is consistent with the order of the
program, and each individual action is atomic and is immediately visible to
every thread.

(emphasis on "is immediately visible")