[concurrency-interest] Relativity of guarantees provided by volatile

Wolfgang Baltes wolfgang.baltes at laposte.net
Sat Aug 18 11:48:17 EDT 2012

The memory model is just that: a model. It is not a hardware spec, nor a
prediction of what happens in which order in the future. It allows to
interpret observations and draw some conclusions.

The simple programming model that all programmers assume is program
order. For example, in the following lines, everyone can expect x to
hold the value 1  and y the value 2.

int a = 1;
int b = 2;
int y = b;
int x = a;

However, we also know that optimizations can happen. So for example,
there is no guarantee that a is set to 1 before b is set to 2. The only
guarantee we have is that - once a write operation has appeared in
program code - a (subsequent in program order) read operation is
guaranteed to succeed with the expected value, independent of any
optimization. In this example, we do not know when a is set to 1, except
we know that whenever a is read after the assignment instruction in
program order, a will have a value of 1. For example, an optimization
could consist of reordering the write to a after y is assigned the value
of b. This reordering would not be observable in this thread, and
therefore does not change the reasoning of what the program
accomplishes. The program order guarantee is there to allow the
programmer to reason about a program in simple terms, such as "I put
instructions in this order to achieve this result" and the program order
rule guarantees that the result can be observed, no matter which
optimizations are involved.

The memory model is nothing more than a similar guarantee regarding
program order when multiple threads are involved. The memory model does
not say what will happen sometimes in the future. It only allows to draw
conclusions about what happened in the past >if< certain observations
are made.

For example,

Thread A:
int a = 1;
volatile int b = 2;
int y = b;
int x = a;

Thread B:
y = b; // volatile read of b.
x = a;

If we apply the program order rule for single threads, we cannot be sure
which value is assigned to x; is a set to 1 or does it have the value 0?
Using the memory model, we expand the program order rules by the
volatile rule: when thread B performs a volatile read, then there are
certain guarantees as follows:
- When thread B reads the value of b and it finds 0, then the conclusion
is that thread A has not reached its volatile write to b. Nothing else
can be concluded.
- If thread B reads a value of 2 for b, then we are allowed to conclude
that instructions of thread A that appear before the volatile write in
program order have "happened-before". This rule allows us to conclude
that >if< we observe a value of 2 for b, then we are sure to observe a
value of 1 for variable a. (There is nothing in the memory model of
 >when exactly< the value 1 has to be written to a, just that we can
count on the observation.)

We have the JVM's guarantee that these conclusions are permitted,
despite any optimizations that are ongoing. This makes concurrent
programming almost as easy to reason about as single threaded programming.

However, in the example given, the memory model does not >predict< in
any way whatsoever when thread B will reach the volatile read
instruction relative in time to the volatile write in thread A.

Note also that the memory model does not deal with the extend in time
that it takes to perform operations. For the examples above, it doesn't
matter when assignment operations start, it only matters when they
finish. And for reads, it only matters when they start. This is why the
memory model uses the concept (and terminology) of synchronization: a
trailing volatile write edge is considered synchronized with a leading
read edge >if< the read operation observes the result of the write.

Wolfgang.