[concurrency-interest] What's the advantage of a Java-5 ThreadPoolExecutor over a Java-7 ForkJoinPool?

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:08:37 EST 2012

Is it (still) also true that it is difficult to manage multiple FJPs (because
each one will try to achieve maximum throughput)?

It would seem that TPE handles this better, because each pool can be
configured to operate with limits placed on its number of threads and
queued tasks.  Though I'm not optimistic that that works well in practice
when there are multiple apps running...  (For example, choosing a single
TPE configuration that works well for all SwingWorker clients -- providing
plenty of background processing without affecting the responsiveness of the
UI -- is a never-ending battle.)

Joe