[concurrency-interest] tsc register

Nathan Reynolds nathan.reynolds at oracle.com
Tue Jan 10 11:20:35 EST 2012

The tsc register on older processors did not increment at the same
rate.  If a core slept or slowed down then the tsc register would stop
or slow down its increments.  More modern processors guarantee that tsc
register increments at a fixed frequency.  If you are working on Linux,
cpuinfo (?) could report the const_tsc flag.  This means that the
processor and OS recognize that this feature is on the processor.

The tsc register is not synchronized across sockets.  This is something
Oracle has asked Intel to enhance many times.  It is a very difficult
problem to solve.  However, more modern Linux kernels will (?)
synchronize the tsc register at startup so that it is impossible to read
the tsc register on two different cores and see that the 2^(n)^(d) value
is smaller.  This does not mean that the tsc register is synchronized.
It only means that two threads running on different cores will hopefully
never see the tsc "move backwards".

There is no guarantee that once the tsc register is synchronized across
sockets that it will remain so.  Some processors are hot swappable.  The
newly added processor is not going to have the correct tsc register
value.  Furthermore, the OS is free to reset the tsc value at any time.

If I understand correctly, the HotSpot JVM will guarantee that
System.nanoTime() never moves backwards.  It reads the tsc register with
each call (?).  It the compares the read value with the last read
value.  If the read value is < the last read value, then the last read
value is returned.  If the read value is > the last read value, then the
last read value is updated and the read value is returned.  Updating the
last read value requires a CAS.  This CAS can lead to scalability
bottlenecks if System.nanoTime() is called too frequently.  I am not
sure if a better algorithm has been devised to fix this CAS contention.
I kind of remember it being talked about.

I think the JVMs will default to more stable clock sources with worse
resolution for nanoTime() if tsc is not behaving well.

Nathan Reynolds