[concurrency-interest] padding in Exchanger

Michael Barker mikeb01 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:45:50 EST 2012

> But does prefetching actually cause sharing issues? Fusing them makes sense
> why it would but prefetch seems like it'd be orthogonal to this.  Perhaps
> I'm wrong though ...

I was about to ask the same question, my understanding of false
sharing is that it is triggered by writes to the same cache line by
multiple cores resulting in excessive RFO traffic.  I.e. ownership of
the contented cache line moves frequently between cores.  If caches
lines are fetched together but written back independently would it
still be a problem?

Mike.