[concurrency-interest] Suggestion: .hardGet() for atomicvariables

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Sat Jan 21 00:38:58 EST 2012

I'm not sure.  Is there any legitimate Java code that could tell the difference?  An x86 load (MOV) can only be reordered with prior stores.   But I don't immediately see how  an observer thread could tell whether

x = ...
r1 = z.getAndAdd(0);

is reordered.  This would require more thought.  But I agree that it's not too likely that any compiler would try to specially optimize getAndAdd(0).

Hans