[concurrency-interest] question about ConcurrentHashMapV8.RemappingFunction

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Fri Jun 29 08:36:17 EDT 2012

On 06/26/12 07:46, Doug Lea wrote:
>> Was there any reason why the ConcurrentHashMapV8.RemappingFunction must
>> return not-null when called from
>> ConcurrentHashMapV8.compute(K,RemappingFunction) method?
>
> There was some list discussion about this when CHMV8 was first
> released. I don't have a strong opinion about it.

On second thought...

>> At the moment such algorithms would
>> need to do compute(K, RemappingFunction) with the function returning a
>> magic-value, then call remove(K, magic-value), which would lead to double
>> hash-lookup and additional cost due to the two mutating operations instead
>> of one in the success case for a remove race.

... avoiding the need for magic values and/or non-atomic rechecks is
why we introduced the computeIfAbsent and recompute methods in the
first place. Using null to indicate the lack of value
(thus removal from the map if present) not only simplifies
such user code but also maintains atomicity of the operation.

I'll revise accordingly in next update (hopefully within
a few days.) For consistency, the same rule should apply
to both methods, so if the function in computeIfAbsent
returns null, no mapping should be installed.

-Doug