[concurrency-interest] ForkJoin updates

Alex Lam S.L. alexlamsl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 18:30:50 EST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:
> 3. One small API addition: Explicit support for task marking.
> It was cruel to tell people that they could use FJ for things
> like graph traversal but not have a simple way to mark tasks
> so they won't be revisited while processing a graph (among a few
> other common use cases). Because they weren't supported initially,
> marking methods need crummy names that won't conflict with
> existing usages: markForkJoinTask and isMarkedForkJoinTask.

Actually, now that I read this again - by conflicts do you mean
inconvenience when modifying existing user code, or do you mean
existing applications will break?

Because for the latter case, I would expect the new methods will
simply be overridden by user code, hence should not cause any
breakage.

And if it is the former case - given that they are updating the source
code already, it doesn't seem like too much of an inconvenience.

The worst case I can think of is if one is using a 3rd party library
which is now overriding the new ForkJoinTask methods...

Alex.