[concurrency-interest] How to set the thread group of the ForkJoinPool?

Romain Colle rco at quartetfs.com
Wed Mar 7 14:40:55 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Sébastien Bocq <sebastien.bocq at gmail.com>wrote:

> I use different pools and I need to identify from which pool threads
> are coming from. For instance, I want to use my own naming scheme.

Hi Sebastien,

We are using a thread factory to do so, and extend ForkJoinWorkerThread.
We simply call "setName" when the thread starts to get the required naming.
See sample code below.

    protected class Worker extends ForkJoinWorkerThread {
        protected Worker(ForkJoinPool pool) {
            super(pool);
        }

        /**
         * Called when the thread is started
         */
        protected void onStart() {
            super.onStart();
            setName(poolName + "-" + poolIndex + "-worker-" +
workerCount.getAndIncrement());

Romain Colle
Senior R&D Engineer
QuartetFS