[concurrency-interest] ForkJoinPool for async http calls?

Zhong Yu zhong.j.yu at gmail.com
Thu May 10 13:07:53 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Christian Essl
<christianessl at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Your are right my primary concern is code-simplicity not pure
> performance, basicly writing in a traditional imperative blocking
> style but still having IO with (mostly) non-blocking threads (and no
> callbacks, no monadic futures).

Thread is such a nice programming abstraction, it's a shame that we
are so concerned of its overhead nowadays. Replacing simple threads
with complex tasks seems to be retrogressing - aren't programming
supposed to become easier?

What are the fundamental reasons that Java Threads are expensive?

Zhong Yu