[concurrency-interest] Class striped/ordered Thread Pool

Glenn McGregor glenn at 8950aaa.com
Fri May 11 01:14:18 EDT 2012

On 5/10/2012 10:07 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> Not sure if this makes sense unless you use a SingleThreadExecutor per
> stripeClass. Otherwise you have races in the submission of
> StripedRunners of the same stripeClass, and even if you order the
> queue so that they start execution in the right order, you can't
> guarantee what order they will complete in. Unless it is all done by a
> single thread.
> David Holmes

I can guarantee that items of the same class are generated by one thread.

To expand on my particular use case...

I have a small number of threads using NIO to read multiple TCP or SCTP
data streams.
I need to process TLS in order for a given socket.
But a given TLS stream is only read by one thread.

So what I want to hand off my TLS work to a thread pool, but need to
keep particular streams in sequence.

Thanks

Glenn McGregor