[concurrency-interest] Promise implementation?

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat May 19 08:56:36 EDT 2012

On 05/19/12 08:45, Chris Vest wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the odds of getting a Promise implementation in j.u.c.? I occasionally
> find myself needing something like that.

Yes. This is identical to (and would probably be named) FutureValue,
that was last discussed on this list last month (and, as Joe pointed
out, periodically over the years) and is on the list for
possible introduction. Stay tuned.

Reminder for others: FutureValue differs from FutureTasm and
ForkJoinTask mainly in that it is not itself Runnable or
submittable to an executor. Additionally, it should support
simple but general forms of extensible completions/callbacks.

-Doug