[concurrency-interest] Feedback? Signals a new approach to observability and adaptiveness in the JVM and Java Class library

william.louth at jinspired.com william.louth at jinspired.com
Tue Nov 6 10:33:41 EST 2012

Hi All,

I have published an article on a technology I've designed and developed to help understand variance in the performance for extremely low latency workflows (trades, messaging, gaming,...). It has evolved into something much bigger which I believe could drive development of new adaptive techniques and technologies above the JVM (which is a highly adaptive system itself) which is the area I am currently involved in (http://www.jinspired.com/research/adaptive-control-in-execution).

Introducing Signals – The Next Big Thing in Application Management
http://www.jinspired.com/site/introducing-signals-the-next-big-thing-in-application-management

We've already had a limited beta release of the API and the results look very promising based on some initial customer feedback but the impact would be far greater if this was supported directly in the JVM and many of the libraries including java.util.concurrent.*.

What are your thoughts on the idea and concepts? What JVM implementation issues do you foresee ignoring the obvious package naming and distinct Open API style ;-).

William