[concurrency-interest] @Contended (JEP-142)

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue Nov 27 15:13:28 EST 2012

On 11/27/12 13:46, Kasper Nielsen wrote:
> 1)
> Without having read Alekseys previous post to hotspot-dev I would have had a
> hard time figuring how the group stuff would work.
> While the layout might not be identical on platforms with different cache-line
> sizes. I think the examples might be worth including in the javadoc

Yes indeed. We'd like to have good, appropriate examples so that
people not only see what's up, but also get a good sense of when
@Contended is warranted. Ideas about self-contained examples
are welcome. There are a few possible from inside j.u.c (that we
will adapt to use @Contended) but we can probably do better,
especially with all the concern out there that the wrong people
will try to use @Contended for the wrong reasons.

> 2)
> I'm fine with sun.misc. But wouldn't it make sense to introduce a vm package
> (for example, java.lang.vm) which contains vm/cpu integration classes.

Maybe JDK9 modularity will force this. But until then,
you might as well think of sun.misc as a standin for this --
functionality that no one wants to make part of the Java spec
proper, but everyone still wants all JVMs to support.

> 3)
> It probably already is, but I'm just making sure Instrumentation#getObjectSize()
> returns the correct number.

(I'll let Aleksey answer this.)

-Doug