[concurrency-interest] do constructors ever involve threading under the covers?

Andy Nuss andrew_nuss at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 10:22:55 EDT 2012

(It was a reply accident that I did not reply to list.)

So if I follow you correctly, for a constructor that has an array or ArrayList member, creates that array/ArrayList, and fills it with a bunch of seeded values, which are effectively final: another thread will not see the values in the array/ArrayList unless the constructed object is "published" to the other thread, such as with a volatile variable or concurrent map.

In that case, can someone explain to me how java String, which holds an array of characters, is threadsafe without the need for publishing the string to the other thread?  I.e. even if the array reference is final, the "final" attribute does not apply to the elements of the array.  Same with a final ArrayList reference.