[concurrency-interest] StampedLock

Romain Colle rco at quartetfs.com
Mon Oct 15 05:38:02 EDT 2012

Thanks for releasing this StampedLock, this looks great!

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

> In light of all the discussions on this list about fences, I should
> note that the implementation currently uses an undocumented fact
> about an unstandardized API (Unsafe) to get the effect of a load
> fence in validate() and related methods. I am hoping that by
> JDK8 release, it can instead use a documented method of Unsafe.

Out of curiosity, do you mean that a call to Unsafe.getXXVolatile() does
also issue a LoadLoad barrier before its read?
Are there any reasons why this is the case, in addition to the post-read
fence of a regular volatile read?

Thanks!

--
Romain Colle