[concurrency-interest] ThreadLocal vs ProcessorLocal

Romain Colle rco at quartetfs.com
Wed Oct 17 04:05:38 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Kirk Pepperdine <kirk at kodewerk.com> wrote:

> SOT, right now we are using CPUID for a number of reasons. Very easy to
> get to on Linux as we can do this in pure Java. However other platforms
> require C++/assembler so having <gulp> an unsafe operation in the JVM would
> be a win from my POV.

I strongly second that. It is next to impossible to implement most
NUMA-aware algorithms without knowing on which NUMA node the current thread
is running.
Having this information available as a Java class (in Thread, Unsafe, ...)
would be a huge win for people like us that need NUMA-aware behavior.

Cheers,

--
Romain Colle
R&D Project Manager