[concurrency-interest] ThreadSafe static analysis tool for Java concurrency

Don Sannella d.sannella at contemplateltd.com
Wed Apr 3 13:01:01 EDT 2013

Contemplate, an Edinburgh University spin-out company, has developed an
advanced static analysis tool, ThreadSafe, that may be of interest to
readers of concurrency-interest.  ThreadSafe specifically targets Java
concurrency defects and includes some dedicated treatment for
java.util.concurrent.  It handles enterprise-scale Java codebases and
includes tight integration with Eclipse.

ThreadSafe is in an early stage - currently we are on version 1.1 - but
it is already in use finding serious concurrency defects in projects at
a couple of large investment banks.  You can get an impression of what
it does from the very simple example in
http://contemplateltd.com/maintaining-safe-concurrent-code-with-threadsafe

We are looking for a limited number of participants for a trial, to give
us feedback on what is in ThreadSafe now and on our plans for near-term
new features.  Please get in touch with me directly if you are
interested in taking part.

Of course, I am also very happy to demonstrate ThreadSafe to potential
paying customers!  If you are in this category, please get in touch!

Regards,

Don Sannella

Here are answers to some obvious questions:

1. Can ThreadSafe find bugs in my tricky lock-free algorithm?

Probably not. We look for the sort of concurrency mistakes that
application developers make in large code bases.

2. What kind of trial participants are you looking for?

We are mainly looking for two kinds of people:

a. Java concurrency gurus who might be interested in how ThreadSafe
could be used by software developers that they teach/advise.

b. Application developers in industry who make substantial use of
concurrency.

We need to be able to identify who you are and your affiliation.

3. Is this free software?

ThreadSafe is a commercial product and there is currently no free
version.  At some point we may introduce a free or low-cost version.
The trial is free, but we expect feedback.

Prof. Donald Sannella, Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science,
School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, UK
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/dts  dts at inf.ed.ac.uk  +44 131 650 5184

and

Don Sannella                d.sannella at contemplateltd.com
Contemplate Ltd                    www.contemplateltd.com
tel +44 7939 132117  fax +44 131 6503474  skype dsannella