Brian Goetz brian at briangoetz.com
Sat Apr 13 16:04:01 EDT 2013

Consider this similar-looking programing:

Object lock = new Object();
int shared = 0;

Thread 1: synchronized (lock) { local = shared; }
Thread 2: synchronized (lock) ( shared = 10; }
Thread 3: synchronized (lock) { local = shared; }

Is what you're saying "in either my racy program or Brian's non-racy
program, the effect will be the same -- threads 1 and 3 will each see
either 0 or 10, and can't predict which because they do not control the
timing of thread scheduling and lock acquisition", and from there, going
to "so why do we call one racy and not the other?"

In a properly synchronized program, you only see changes to shared
variables at synchronization points, whereas in a racy program, they
happen whenever, and the order in which they appear to happen may be
different from the perspective of different threads.

Or, maybe you just don't like the happens-before model because its
different from what you're used to?  HB seems no less well-defined and
tractable than the other models you seem to like.  The rules are simple:

  - Synchronization actions (lock acquire/release, volatile read/write)
are totally ordered
  - If two actions A and B are in the same thread, and A precedes B in
the program order, then A happens-before B
  - Writes of volatile variables happen-before subsequent reads of that
same variable (we can say "subsequent" because of the first rule above)
  - Releasing a lock happens-before subsequent acquisitions of that lock

There are a few other rules (having to do with starting/joining with
threads, finalizers, etc) but they rarely come into play.