thurstonn thurston at nomagicsoftware.com
Mon Apr 15 12:55:59 EDT 2013

oleksandr otenko wrote
> When "data race" means "broken logic", there must be a place where that
> logic is defined.

Yes, there is an assumption in my OP that "data-race" ==> "incorrect" (or
"broken logic" in your words)
Vitaly does not necessarily equate "raciness" with "incorrectness" (and
probably Brian as well) and that's OK with me

oleksandr otenko wrote
> Literature on linearizability introduces a history of events (not the
> only place where it is done so). If a valid reordering of events
> produces a invalid history, you have a data race. But you need a
> definition of a valid history.

Yes, what I'm in (a quixotic?) search for is a process that does the
following:
given a set of operations that can execute across multiple threads (like the
example in the OP)
-define a set of "execution histories" (your "history of events") that are
possible given the MM in effect and consistent with the original program's
set of operations (of course there will be multiple such histories)
-each "execution history" defines at least a partial ordering among
conflicting operations (r/w or w/w on the same shared data item)
-analyze each execution history for "correctness"
if each possible history is correct, then you're good
else add explicit happens-before relations. Repeat

oleksandr otenko wrote
> Your argument is that any reordering of instructions in your example is
> a valid history. But in order to state that, we would need to see the
> rest of history. The subsequent use of local will determine the validity
> of history.
> Alex

Agreed (the example 'program' is simplistic at best).

What my original post described was exactly the kind of process (viz. an
acyclic serialization graph) that I'm in search of, but is applied to
database concurrency control.  The problems are very similar (turning
concurrent executions into serial, partially-ordered ones; operations are
reads/writes of data items), but they are not exactly the same.  I was
wondering if we could use the same techniques (with a serialization graph
==> "execution graph") to analyze the "correctness" of, e.g. non-locking
concurrent algorithms/data structures.

Thurston