thurstonn thurston at nomagicsoftware.com
Tue Apr 16 08:01:54 EDT 2013

Yes, concurrency is hard.
So is database concurrency control. But there is a formal methodology for
analyzing it (even if it is NP-complete)

It seems to me that the lack of something similar for analyzing
multi-threaded code on SMP systems is a real failure of computer science.  I
mean we have a MM.
Even if you accept the "leave it to the experts" prescription, the point is
that "experts" make mistakes as well (there's a great academic paper (that I
can't find the link to at the moment) that describes some putatively
thread-safe program that ran continuously for 2+ years before it failed)

The "how do you know this program is thread-safe"?
Pause.
"I thought *really* hard about it"

I can't be the only one who finds that deeply unsatisfying