Mike Duigou mike.duigou at oracle.com
Tue Apr 16 15:58:12 EDT 2013

It's been a practice for a while in OpenJDK maintenance to document benign races like String.hash initialization and class statics like Collections.r whenever they are noted.

Whenever you see an uncommented race condition in JDK code as part of a review please request that a comment be added.

If the race condition is surprising or non-obvious and important it's possible to create bug issue/patches just to document it. (Which has been done in at least one case I remember).

Mike