Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:44:17 EDT 2013

I actually expect that the optimizer *would* do this transformation on
plain fields (provided it doesn't break intra-thread semantics, of course)
because it's a perf gain.

Don't know how much JIT can see through println as it ultimately calls into
runtime and OS functions, so I'd guess it doesn't know enough or simply
plays conservative here.  However, Nathan's point is still valid even if
example isn't necessarily the best one.  If you had "pure" java code
instead of an I/O call that took significant time to execute, the write
would be delayed.  I'm not sure why that matters though for benign data
races.  Clearly if you need immediate visibility, you code for that
specifically.