[concurrency-interest] ConcurrentHashMap-Very Strange behavior of ReentrantLock under contention.

Mudit Verma mudit.f2004912 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 14:32:37 EDT 2013

@Nathan,
Yes I am aware that new implementation of ConcurrentHashMap which is
rolling out in Java 8. I am using Java 7. However, I don't think it will
change the behavior because all the threads are hitting the same bucket. To
best of my knowledge, the difference between Java 8 and 7 is that the lock
is acquired per bucket, while in latter case its acquired per segment.
This, I believe should not change the strange behavior I am seeing.
Anyhow, even with the current implementation, its just weird that in low
contention performance deteriorates.

@Vitaly,
ThinkTime is nothing but the a simple loop made to run X number of times.
We are considering one iteration as one cycle. This is not absolutely
correct since one iteration should take more cycles (5-6) including
increasing the counter and terminate condition. But this should not change
the graph. This is only going to shift the graph to the right a bit.

@Kimo,
Thanks for the links.  I'll take a look. But the problem is not with the
CAS.  I guess the issue is with ReentrantLock. Current implemenation try
CASing 64 times and after that it goes for ReentrantLock. Under high
contention most of the times all 64 CAS will fail anyway and hashMap will
have to resort to ReentrantLocking. We are just trying to understand this
strange behavior.

Thanks,
Mudit
Intern, INRIA, Paris