[concurrency-interest] Benchmark to demonstrate improvement in thread management over the years.

Stanimir Simeonoff stanimir at riflexo.com
Tue Aug 13 04:29:36 EDT 2013

The main benefit of the NIO is the lower AND predictable latency per
client. You may apply your own policy, order and priority.
The paper mentions nothing about latency and you are at mercy of the OS
scheduler to serve your clients properly. Thread.setPriority virtually
doesn't work, so everything has equal priority  but the OS may boost some
threads if they feel so.
For some applications that might not be critical, of course...
Actually, 1000 I/O bound threads on modern hardware is probably low load.

Stanimir