[concurrency-interest] Benchmark to demonstrate improvement in thread management over the years.

Nathan Reynolds nathan.reynolds at oracle.com
Tue Aug 13 13:12:05 EDT 2013

An event model requires copying the state into heap objects.  A thread
model allows the state to stay on the stack.  So, an event model may be
able to reuse the threads but puts more pressure on the heap and GC.
HotSpot's escape analysis is trying to reduce heap pressure by putting
more objects on the stack.  However, there is a cost for having the
stack.  The hard question is which costs more.

-Nathan